Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Usually, when I talk about my body and how I am unhappy with the size it is, someone will inevitably say, "Well, you just had a baby." Wrong. I just had TWO babies. Back to back.
I was pregnant for half of 2012, half of 2013, and 1/4 of 2014, for a total of 18 out of 24 months. I had two babies, two C-sections, one memorial service, and one happy homecoming. I'm also an emotional eater. So, when Kenley died, I ate. I didn't care....I had just had a baby and that baby had died. I know I hung onto some of that weight because part of me felt like it was all I physically had left of her. 

Then, I got pregnant again, and I ate some more. I mean, come on...I'm pregnant, plus I'm scared and excited at the same time. After I had Piper, Mike got a new job, I went back to work, and we didn't have time to plan healthy meals. A new baby and a new schedule made me stressed, so I continued to eat poorly, which leads me to where I am today. 50 pounds heavier than I should be. 20 pounds heavier than my previous record high of an undisclosed number. Not cool. Something must be done.

So, what am I going to do, you ask? Great Question. Here's your answer: The 3 R's. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
I am going to REDUCE the amount of bad foods going into my body.

I am going to REUSE my old workout clothes and Couch 2 5K app.

I am going to RECYCLE the defeatist attitude I have towards losing weight and turn it into a bright, shiny new outlook that expects results.

So...why put this on the blog? Well, for a couple of reasons. For starters, I am refocusing the blog to talk more about motherhood after loss, and losing baby weight is definitely part of motherhood. Secondly, and probably most importantly, I am not very good with intrinsic motivation. I need external parameters. I need to know that I have not just committed to myself, but to something else as well. So, I will blog about this too. I know this isn't as emotional as other blog posts of mine. It's not as juicy or insightful...but this blog is ultimately for me, so that's what's happening.

When I started the blog, I had Saturday Spotlights to highlight positive projects I was working on. I am going to continue to do something like that with my weightloss journey. I'm thinking "Weight Loss Wednesdays". (Oh, hey...isn't today Wednesday?) I will write a weekly post about what I have been doing and how I have been progressing. Maybe photos will accompany said blog post, we will see. 

If you are looking to get healthier as well, feel free to comment on the blog posts and we can swap support sentiments with each other. Trade recipes? Encourage workouts? Whatever. I'm thinking of creating a Facebook Group for anyone who wants to join in for some support. If I do, I'll also post that link.
Let me also make this clear, this is NOT related to the New Year or a Resolution of any kind. New Year Resolutions are not for me. I never do something because it is expected or tradition. We all know that by now. I do things because I feel they need to be done. My Rainbow is 8 months old and none of my pants fit me. This needs to be done.

Tomorrow, I plan on walking/ jogging (mostly walking) around the block. My goal is to excercise for no less than 40 minutes 4 times a week. I think this is a realistic goal for my life, and if I exceed it, then yay for me. I also have a list of goals and changes to make, but I will save that for another post.


Six years ago at a healthy weight for me.   This is my goal. 




1 comment: