Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Getting My Goals On

Often, when people decide to lose weight, they set all kinds of goals for themselves. That's fine and dandy, but the problem often lies with the fact that these goals aren't realistic with their every day lives. I mean, I could set a goal to go to the gym for an hour every day and completely eliminate sugar and carbs. But, honestly, that will NEVER happen. Gyms are expensive, I don't have an hour every single day, and I'm pretty sure my blood is 90% mocha.

Lofty goals don't work for me. If I don't feel successful, I quit. I have tried to take online ESOL certification courses no less than six times. Each time, I start out doing all the assignments on time and I feel good. But then, life happens, I slip behind, and then I just give up and drop the course. It's not the noblest of attitudes, but it's the way I am. I need to have goals that I can easily achieve. Several small, easily achievable goals will work far better for me than huge, sweeping aspirtations. For example, if I say to myself, "Self, you will lose 20 pounds by April", and I don't start seeing results fairly quickly, I will assume it can't be done and I will just settle into bad habits. So, I have created a list of small changes I can make in my daily life that won't overwhelm me and will make me feel successful as I carry them out.

Here they are:

1. I will work out (In any form...most likely Couch 2 5K) for 40 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
2. I will fill my Parrish Medical Center giant water jug every morning and drink its contents throughout the day. I will gradually increase my water intake to two jugs.
3. I will stop buying soda for my home. I will allow myself a soda only when I am out to eat and only every other time. If I finish that soda, I will drink water for the remainder of the meal. (Eliminating things entirely just makes me want it more. I'm stubborn like that)
4. When ordering coffee at my favorite coffee house, I will request 2% instead of whole and will not order larger than a "tall".
5. I will not eat Fast Food. If time or lack of planning requires me to visit one of these establishments, I will choose the healthiest option available, such as a grilled chicken sandwich.
6. To avoid the "Fast Food Trap", I will work each week to plan meals ahead of time. I will choose meal recipes that are healthy and easy to make. I will actually make these meals instead of being lazy and I will remember to defrost the meat in time!
7. I will eat a healthy breakfast. (This is actually the hardest one for me. I usually run out the door and end up shoving in a pop tart about two hours later if I eat anything at all. I'm going to need help with this one because I need quick, easy, and healthy alternatives)
8. I will make sure I have healthy snack choices in my house and I will not buy any Oatmeal Creme Pies. (Sorry Mike!)
9. When I bake, I will bake for others. I can eat one serving, but then must give away the rest. (You're welcome, Fairglen!)
10. I will understand that life is crazy, and that as long as I continue to try my best and get back on the wagon if I slip off, I will see changes eventually. I've done this before, I can do it again.

So, those are my small changes I am going to make to help myself on this journey to better health.
Also, instead of rewarding a job well done with food, as I tend to do, I will reward myself with a new wardrobe. When old clothes are too small, I will donate those clothes and then purchase a new item. I do not plan to replace item for item either. Another aspect of change in my life is going to deal with paring down and living with less. I do not need a mountain of clothes.

If you are joining me on this adventure, I have created a Facebook Group for it. It is a closed group, so if you join, you don't have to worry about posts showing up in other people's newsfeeds. "One Pink Balloon: Blogging Away the Boody" Come on over! We can do this together!



3 comments:

  1. Losing weight is by far one of the most challenging tasks for some people. So making simpler and realistic goals will really help make the weight loss easier and stress-free. Anyway, thank you for sharing your goals for the year. It’s nice that you will focus on the things that some would take for granted, like making sure you get the right amount of water to drink everyday. That’s great, since water has an important role in one’s body for it to function well. Cheers!

    Judith Harvey @ AquaPerfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since my husband got me divorced for the past 2 years, i v'e not been my self. I was reviewing some post of how i could get back my husband then, i saw a testimony shared by Marina Choas from SWEDEN about a spell caster named Dr. Okosun. I contacted Marina Chaos to confirm about how Dr. Okosun helped her and she clarified everything to me of how he helped her and that gave me the courage to get in touch with Dr. OKosun for help. Dr. Okosun assured me that my days of sorrows will be over within 48hours after he has finished with his work. I followed his instructions he gave to me because i had the believe, faith, hope and trust in him. Verily i say to you today that i and my husband are back together and i can proudly say and testify to the world of what Dr. Okosun did for me. Contact him today via E-mail:(Okosunspelltemple33@gmail.com call him or whatsapp him +2348133974847 if you seek his help

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their WEBSITE www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete